Saturday, August 29, 2009

ADILF (Awesome Daughter-in-law Forever) and ADF (Awesome Daughter Forever)

I have to say that my DIL, Karla was just AWESOME this weekend. She went above and beyond the call of duty to organize and cook for our whole family reunion. We had Hawaiian haystacks, a great tasting fruit salad, yummy brownies, peanut butter bars to die for, and several kinds of cookies.

I didn't even think to offer any help carrying everything from her car to the picnic tables. We weren't there yet when she was doing all this to get ready for the reunion. But when we were cleaning up I realized that she had carried three large drink containers,two large coolers and about 15 other containers of food and groceries from her car to the tables just to get ready to make the meal.

All this and she isn't one of the original members of the family we were holding the reunion for. If it hadn't been for her we wouldn't have had a reunion this year. She is just this wonderful person who likes to organize and cook, anyway, so she offered to do it for the Spendlove family this year. I am so grateful for her. I hope you know we love and appreciate you, Karla.

To add to the fun, our daughter and her husband organized the "First Annual Spendlove Not So Special Olympic" games for the reunion. They did this for our immediate family for the 4th of July and it was so fun I asked them to do it for the reunion.

It was fantastic! Emilee and Daniel had gone to the trouble of making a very large (5' X 8'), permanent banner to record all the winners of the events. We will be able to use it every year.

Daniel, her husband, brought a HUGE blow up slippery slide to use for the obstacle course as part of the Olympics. Besides that, they had all the props to do a three legged race, a wheel barrow race and several other games where we all competed. It was just the MOST fun reunion we have ever had!

Thanks Karla, Emilee and Daniel for all you did to make this day so fun!

3 comments:

nora.lakehurst said...

Aw thanks. I am totally blushing right now. I couldnt have done it with out the love and support of the family. There was a few things that was hard but mostly it was my kids not listening to me that was the hard part.
I made most of my kids help me with the unloading. And lets just say "quiet" mommy was NOT in the house during the last few sane hours.
Emilee you did GREAT! Thanks for the games. Sorry i am a poor sport about running. Just after Danni was born I just CANNOT run. My ankles roll and ache for days after.
But it was great. Thanks so much.

Stacey said...

Way to go Karla! I bet you did an awesome job. :)

Holly said...

Yes, Aunt Corilee I definitely agree with you. The Spendlove family reunion was awesome!

Thank you Karla for making it happen! I am very impressed by all of the work you put into it. The meal was delicious! Hawaiian haystacks are a personal favorite! I liked the additional touches- table coverings to color on, games to play, lots of ice water and cold lemonade to drink, not to mention lots of yummy desserts. You are a very talented and giving person!

And, Emilee and Daniel, thank you for bringing the big slide. My kids LOVED it!! The olympics were also lots of fun!!! Thanks for all of your preparations.

It was fun to see everyone again!