Thursday, March 4, 2010

Pumpkin Pie Disaster, Pancake Heaven

I got to thinking about the total failure of my sugarless pie making experience and realized that when I doubled the recipe I forgot to double the Splenda. I was thinking about it because I had called my sponsee to warn her about how terrible the pie tasted so that she wouldn't try to make it. She was surprised to say the least because she had already made the pie twice and loved it. She read me the recipe again to make sure I made it right and I thought I had. Neither of us could believe it was so bad for me and so good for her. I told her this morning what I suspected about leaving out the extra Splenda and we both felt sure that's what happened.

I'm going to make it again tomorrow for lunch and dinner. I don't dare make it today or I'll want some and that will make it hard for me since it isn't on my food plan today and I'd have to be tempted by the smell all night.

I'm leading the meeting tonight. It's a little different format than the OA meetings that I'm used to leading so I'm a little nervous. Also, I'm almost certain there will be four women that were newcomers to OA yesterday. After yesterday's meeting I told them all about CEA-HOW and the LDS 12 Step meetings and when I told them that there were three women in our CEA-HOW group that had lost 100 lbs in a year they all were very interested. They were so interested that they asked for the address of the meeting place and made it a point to drive by it on their way home. We should have an interesting "meeting after the meeting" tonight with them there.
I just thought of a recipe for blueberry and banana pancakes that is out of this world that you might like to try.
This makes two, very thick 4" pancakes. Just right for one person. I don't know how it would work if you double or tripled it but you should make it just for yourself sometime. It is like having dessert for breakfast.
1 egg
3 T oat bran
(yeah you have to buy it special but it comes in a package that would make 20 pancakes at 3 T a pop and a half a pancake would fill a little child) (Actually the package looks small compared to other hot cereal packages. It's about 6" high and3 1/2" wide and can be found in the baking section across the asile from the spices at Smith's)
1/2 banana
(I like more banana so I put in 2/3 banana - it could probably be made with a whole banana but I can't have that much on my diet unless I give up the blueberries.)
1/4 c blueberries
1/4 c cottage cheese
2 T syrup (sugarless of course - this is a diet pancake after all)
1 tsp butter
Mix together oat bran, egg and banana. Mash banana to make a thick batter. (I add 2 T water because I like it more like a batter than cookie dough) Fold in blueberries. Spread griddle with butter (you could use butter flavored Pam as well. I just like the real thing.) Cook on a hot griddle until the edges get a little crusty. Turn and cook a little longer until the center gets done. Top with cottage cheese and syrup.
This is Pancake Heaven. ENJOY!
Well, Onward and Upward Girls,
Mither
P.S. If my crustless "pumpkin pie" turns out I'll give the recipe here. It's actually more like a custard but you bake it in pie plates and serve it like pie, hence the name.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Phew! I can't be the only one to have cooking disasters, LOL! I hope this next one works better for you. Good Luck!

Stephanie said...

Thanks for the recipe. :)

Jan said...

I hope that your pumpkin pie turned out better this time. The pancakes sound good as well.

I continue to be impressed with how well you are doing on your new eating plan. What a good example!

Love You!