Saturday, March 20, 2010

Major Mistake

I got to thinking over the last three weeks that the two medications I've been taking for fibromyalgia weren't really working since I've had two bad flare-ups in a little over two months. So, I had a great idea. I decided to go off both of them.

Mistake!!!!

Now I'm really having a bad flare-up and can hardly distract myself long enough to stop clenching against the pain. My hands and feet have been so cold. That was a symptom I had 10 years ago but have not had since then.

I went to my CEA-HOW meeting this morning and haven't yet decided if that was a good idea or not. It did distract me but I may be paying for it even more than I would have if I had stayed home and rested.

I think I'll go back on the medication that I've been on for three or four years and see if that will alleviate the pain of the flare-up and get me back to where I was before my great idea.

Resting can be very boring. You young mothers may be rolling your eyes, but there it is. What can I say? I have been trying to read but can't concentrate. My last recourse is to watch TV. I think my daughters gave me "Pride and Prejudice" last year. I'll watch that. Thanks girls.

Cheers?
Mither

5 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm stuck resting too. I feel like a bump on a log while my sweet husband is circling around me cleaning the room and vacuuming. Meanwhile I am typing requests for more water, a stick of gum, etc. It is very frustrating. I went from feeling pretty good this morning (as long as I stayed up on my pain meds and drinking lots of cold ater) to suddenly being in pretty severe pain regardless of what I'm doing. I'm not a fan of this pain :( Do you have a rice bag you can heat up in the microwave? If not, take an old sock, fill it with a few cups of rice and tie a knot at the open end of the sock. Put it in the microwave for 2 or 3 minutes then spread it across your feet with a blanket or towel or something between the sock and your bare feet. It's my favorite way of getting my feet warmed up, espcially at night or when I'm going to sleep. Because it will gradually cool down you don't have to worry about burning yourself with a heating pad while sleeping. If you want to get fancy you could add a few drops of essential oils to the rice before dumping it in -- like some lavendar to be soothing, etc.

ems said...

Mither dear, you have got to stop going off meds without asking your doctor first! (Yes, this is a scolding in case you are wondering.) There is a reason that they have to go to school so long, so they can learn about these things. No more brilliant ideas like this one. :)

ANyway, enough scolding, I am sorry that you are feeling so poorly. I hope the medicine will kick in again soon and you'll start feeling better again. Good luck!

Steve and Chelle said...

ditto to what emilee said. Silly silly mommy!

Also, ditto to what Janelle said. I actually have a rice bag thing if you want to borrow it. It's meant to go around your neck, but it works for hands, feet, abdomen, etc.

And btw, I totally agree with you about the resting thing. Laying in bed for so long can get SO incredibly boring.

Stephanie said...

I'm jealous of the resting part, but not the pain part. I hope Pride and Prejudice does wonders for you.

Holly said...

I hope you feel better soon! I'll pray for you.

Try to enjoy your rest and boredom and I'll try to enjoy my lack of it!