Wednesday, December 30, 2009

December Winds Down

Well, the holidays are almost over. Joe and I don't usually do anything on New Year's Eve. He doesn't even stay up to ring in the New Year. It's just another night to him. Maybe Steve and Michelle will come up and play games this year. If they do, I'll stay up. I won't plan on getting up at 5:00 a.m. on New Year's Day if I do, though. I do seem to remember them being here and going out on the deck with them and making a racket banging spoons on pans in years past so I'll just play it by ear. (What a funny saying.... I can't play any musical instrument by ear really.)

I noticed a young girl in Church last Sunday sitting in the bench in front of us. She had some pencils and was drawing the face of a girl. It reminded me of when I was her age (about 14) I used to draw girls faces too. She was pretty good for not having any training. I thought it would be fun to teach her some tips to help her along with her talent but I forgot about it when the meeting was over.

I happened to see her mother in Relief Society and went over to sit by her to see if she thought her daughter would like to come over and let me teach her a little bit. She was thrilled about it. After the meeting her daughter came in the room and I asked if she would like to do it. She was very enthusiastic about it so she ended up coming over yesterday. I thought it would only take about twenty minutes or so. We ended up talking and drawing for over an hour. It was really fun for me and she was very willing to learn and seemed to enjoy herself.

I suggested she get a book at Provo Art and Frame that showes how to draw faces from all angles. It will really be a good book for her to learn from. I told her she could practice drawing from it and then come over after she has some more work to show me and I will teach her a little more.

Joe and I tended Joshie, Brianna and Brayden yesterday afternoon so Stacey could have a break. I was somewhat apprehensive about our ability to take care of them all because I don't get around very well but it turned out to be a lot of fun.

We had only been in the car coming home from their house for about 4 minutes when Brady asked if we were there yet :) He asked the same question about 4 or 5 more times before we got home. It reminded us of when we had little kids. It must be a rite of passage for 3 year olds.

When we got home we played with "grandma's toy box." We played the teddy bear game, played with the clay, went through both decks of cards that teach words and numbers (counting) and did the alphebet puzzle. They were all very good to take turns and share in the games. Brady did very well for a three year old and Joshie was so excited to be doing the "toy box" again he had to be restrained from giving all the answers to the questions in the card games before Brady and Brianna could have a chance. Brianna was her sweet little self and excitedly helped Brady do some of the cards. They were all so cute.

Then Joe set up the TV upstairs and turned off the lights and we all watched 'The Incredibles" like we were at the movies. Brady was in constant motion as he watched. I was laying on the love seat and he came and laid down with me about 5 different times (which melted my heart) in between climbing on the rug we have rolled up on the floor, laying on the floor himself and rolling around on the floor. All this time he had his eyes on the TV so I know he was watching the movie. About half way through the movie the cd went on the fritz so we had to turn it off. It was just as well because Brady was getting hungry so we took them to Artic Circle for supper.

I was apprehensive again about what we would do if they got to playing on the gym set they have there and wouldn't come down when it was time to eat but it turned out not to be a problem. I was afraid Brady might not mind us and get up on the part of the gym where we couldn't reach him and then what would we do? Luckily it didn't happen. We got them some tiny ice crean cones after they ate their food (Brady only had fries but Joshie said that was all he would eat so we didn't push it) We told them we would buy them a gum ball when they had their boots and coats on. They all minded so well it was a joy to have them. I'm glad Joe was there, though, as I couldn't have done it alone, but with him, we all had a great time.

It was altogether a very good day. Today was good as well. After going to my mission and my 12 step meeting I came home and had a good, long rest this afternoon.

I had a little bit of a flare up after all the excitement from Christmas but have been doing much better the last two days.

It's good to feel good. Lots of good things going on :)

No comments: