Saturday, September 19, 2009

Hottest Date Night Ever!

Joe happened to be listening to the radio a couple of weeks ago and heard that the Utah Symphony was doing what they called Cirque de la Symphonie. Having seen the Cirque de la Soliel "O" in Las Vegas in May which was phenomenal, he asked me if I wanted to go. I thought he had read my 100 goals list and knew that one of my goals was to cultivate an appreciation for classical music, so that was why he asked. I didn't find out until last night that he had no idea that I had set that goal.

Strange coincidence.

In Brother Wright's class at Ed. Week he said that as long as we asked the Lord what goals to set and wrote down any thing that came to mind we would find that opportunities would happen and people would be brought into our life that would help us reach our goals. He also read a quote by Larry H Miller who said "How many coincidences does it take to realize that it's not a coincidence?"

The Symphony was incredible. The music was beautiful. It was interesting because they played music from Harry Potter and Star Wars along with the classical pieces. And then to see the extraordinary acts that were set to the music was much more than I ever expected. To tell the truth I hesitated to even go because I hadn't yet "developed" the taste for classical music. It was just a goal that I had set and was working towards by changing my radio station to Classical 89 in the car and listening to it on my Ipod. I thought that Joe wanted to go, (which was weird since we haven't gone to the symphony, ever, in our whole married life) so I said yes.

What a night! First we decided to drive up to 90th South and catch Trax and ride in to the city which was, in itself, fun because I had never done it. Then, when we got there, we had time to get a bite to eat. We went to the hotel restaurant that was right across the street from Symphony Hall, which was very convenient. We finished eating just in time to get to our seats without being late. And last to hear and see such amazing things, (the acts were just incredible, that's all I can say!) made the whole night more fun than I have had on a date, ever!!!

The really down side was that it was Emilee's birthday and she was going to invite us over to dinner.

The other down side was that we didn't get home until late and I didn't get to bed until after midnight. That made it so I slept right through my alarm and missed getting up at 5:00 a.m. Joe had been up at 5:00 himself and when he came back to bed a little later and heard my alarm going off (music from my Ipod, not very loud, but loud enough that I should have woken up) he thought if I was that tired he would just let me sleep. So I didn't wake up until 8:30 and even then I couldn't get really awake so I slept until 11:00.

So much for preaching "early to bed and early to rise." But tomorrow is another day so they say. (And no, I don't know who "they" is.)

Well, I need to get to bed now or I might sleep through my alarm, again.

Night, all.

4 comments:

nora.lakehurst said...

Fun for you! I love classical music. I have loved it forever. Its okay to miss birthday dinners if it was for you and your hubby. Hope you can do it again soon.

Dave said...

i wish i could get nat into the symphony. unfortunately, her years in the ballet made her a little adverse to some classical.

Unknown said...

Utah Symphony puts on some great concerts! I admit I grew up on orchestral music and I love it. As a past ballerina I still love it. One of my favorites which I bet you'd like also is "Romeo and Juliet Fantasy Overture by Tchaikovsky. It's only about 18 minutes long as I recall and you can imagine the whole story line! Are you wanting to enjoy strict "Classical", or simply "orchestral" music? Here's a definition:
"The term "classical music" did not appear until the early 19th century, in an attempt to "canonize" the period from Johann Sebastian Bach to Beethoven as a golden age." (Wiki)
There is a lot of great orchestral music that isn't technically classical that could be a great introduction to the genre.
Alternatively, you could just watch some cartoons: http://www.thomasvillecentral.com/musWB.htm :P

Corilee said...

Thanks TB but I think I'll pass on the cartoons :)

Joe explained some of the differences in classical music, too, but I can't remember what he said the differences were. It's that darned old memory thing again. Seems I'm doomed to hearing or reading interesting things and then not being able to recall them.