Thursday, March 26, 2009

Jon's Birthday, again ( sheesh, you'd think I 'd get this)

So today's My son's birthday. I could go on about what a great guy he is (which he is to say the least) but since everyone knows about all that, I thought I'd write about the day he was born.

I remember on the way to the hospital we were driving by our chapel and I thought to myself that I'd never forget that day. As a result of the seriously heavy medication they gave me at the hospital, I only remember a little of what happened. I was hung over for about three days after his birth from the meds. I do remember them trying to get me to bend at the waist to give me an epidural (who has a waist when they're 9 months along) I could hardly do any bending at all for which they seemed a little put out (dumb doctors) To say I was a little put out with my doctor was putting it mildly because I was so drugged that Jonathan was not breathing when he was born and was a 9 on the apgar scale (10 being dead) They almost lost him. That from one of the nurses who told me after I was conscious a couple of days later. Luckily, we were back in Utah by the time Michael was born. I wouldn't have gone back to that doctor anyway.

Jonathan had colic the first six months of his life. I've wondered if I hadn't nursed him if he would have been better off because after I put him on formula (at six months) he seemed to do better. I remember propping his bottle one time when I was so exhausted I could hardly stand it. I've felt guilty about it ever since every time I think about it. He turned out just fine though.... there doesn't seem to be any lasting effects from it.

He was one of my easiest children to raise and turned in to one of the nicest people I know.

I love you Jonathan.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

He must have been a 1 on the apgar scale, since 10 is perfect and 0 is dead. Sabrina was a 9 at birth, 10 at five minutes after. The nurse said she'd never given a 10 before but couldn't find anything to dock her on! Of course, then they took her to the NICU for a week after all >rolling eyes<. When I was young on our birthday Mom would come sit by our bed at night and tell us the story of when we were born. It was really neat to hear about it every year. My mom never had any medications and never spent more than 24 hours in the hospital, except the first couple where it was required. I would never have survived, LOL.

Corilee said...

I always get the apgar scale thing wrong. No matter what the numbers were he was almost dead. Your mother, Tilly, is one of the most amazing people I've met but remembering all the details about each child's birth is really something. I'm not even a close match for her there.

Steve and Chelle said...

silly mommy!

A 10 is pretty cool! We don't see those very often at work! It's almost always 8 at 1 min and 9 at 5 mins. Almost always! (Although we did have a 33 week delivery that as a 4, 5, and 7. (one, five and ten minutes.)

ems said...

That is a pretty good memory of Jon's birth. What do you mean you don't remember details? When you tell a story it takes you 4 times longer than it does dad because you tell so many details! :)

Nice post! Lub-lubs!