Sunday, April 11, 2010

Two Highs and a Low

Melissa had the neatest idea (as usual-she always comes up with something fun to do) for a girls night out which became a reality this last Friday and Saturday. We (Jenn, Jan, Emilee, Karla, Janelle, Melissa and I) had a slumber party! She has a brother and sister who own a cabin (read really large house) in a canyon East of Heber City. We all stopped at a restaurant in Heber and had dinner and then drove up to the cabin. Up being the defining word for the last two hundred feet of the drive. The hills was steep and very muddy with large ruts that almost devoured Karla's car.
Jenn was hyperventilating by the time they made it to the cabin. (Just kidding, Jenn) We all had to give her a bad time about how scared she must have been even though we weren't there in the car with her (she and Janelle were in Karla's car which doesn't have 4 wheel drive. The rest of us were in Melissa's Jeep which does.) Somehow Jenn has gotten the reputation of being the one to "freak out" at things like that. It was all in good fun and she was good to go along. Karla did and amazing job of driving that little car up such a steep and bad hill. She said her Dad(?) had taught her how to drive like that and she had no doubt that she could do it, and she did! She has an amazing repertoire of talents.
We spent the night playing a couple of games which had some of us feeling very smart and others feeling somewhat less so ;) Then we sat around on big comfy couches and chairs (except for Karla who uncomplainingly sat on the carpet) and just talked for a long time about all kinds of things, ending up with how blessed we were to live where we lived and have the lifestyle we have -- especially compared to most of the people of the world. Then we all went to bed (11:15, not one of those late, late night parties we might have had if we were younger.)
I slept in a bed that was so high that I literally had to get a step stool to get up in. I slept really well most of the night. I did wake up and read my scripture for a little while and then went back to sleep and didn't wake up until about 8:00!(really late for someone who usually gets up at 5:00) Then everyone had a big breakfast of eggs pancakes and bacon(?) (I had two cheese sticks and an apple which weren't as filling, maybe, as there's was but it's worth it for the weight loss)
I fell asleep again in one of the big chairs and when I woke up I heard Melissa cleaning the bathroom right off the main room. I asked her if I could help her but she insisted that I go downstairs and watch the movie everyone else was watching. I have felt guilty ever since that I didn't just start helping out regardless of her insistence. The least I could have done is suggested that we pause the movie and all of us go up and help out with the work. I don't really feel guilty, now days, compared to what I used to. Since I came to understand the atonement I usually handle my guilt feelings by repenting pretty quickly, but this time I felt really guilty all day yesterday, and wished I could go back and do it over again the right way. I don't quite know how to make up for it. I'll have to pray about this one.
We took Joshie out for lunch to celebrate his receiving the gift of the Holy Ghost when I got home from the sleepover. He was really excited. We gave him a little book that talked of all the feelings, warnings and guidance we get from this member of the Godhead and read it while we were waiting for our food to come. We went to I-Hop (International House of Pancakes) He loved the pancakes and on the way home in the car, he asked us about some of the things we read. I told him the story of Heber J. Grant (?) being warned not to go in a shack out in a field by an audible voice and about my sister, Annette, having an audible voice tell her that she could pray about a problem she was having. She hadn't yet thought of doing it so it was a real surprise to hear a voice telling here that. She even looked around her bedroom to see where the voice came from but of course there was no one there.
Joshie was fascinated by the stories and asked if they were true. I reassured him that they were. He asked if that would happen to him and I said it could at some point in his life but he would have to keep the commandments. Then he asked what the commandments were Joe and I both mentioned some of the ten commandments and talked about repenting when he hits his brothers or sister or does something else wrong. It was a priceless "Sunday School" lesson given in answer to his questions, probably one of the best he will have in his young years for that very reason. It was all I could have asked for to teach him about the Holy Ghost. It was a direct answer to my prayers for Joshie.
Today I am really, really down in the dumps. I don't know why. I didn't go to Church today. I felt extremely tired last night and it has hung over to this morning. I did get up at my usual 5:00 o'clock time but went back to bed at 8:00 because I was just so tired. Maybe I'm coming down from such and emotional high that in comparison I'm feeling the down time more.
Anyway, at least I am writing in my blog/journal. Well I have a headache so I'll go take something for it and see if I can concentrate enough to read my scriptures or watch KBYU. They usually have Conference talks or devotionals all day on Sunday.
Well, Cheers,
Mither

1 comment:

nora.lakehurst said...

It was WAY fun! I hope we can do that again soon. That hill wasnt that steep. And Jen She did scream and I love her. LOL It was cute. Anyways it was my dad who taught me and my mom to not really fear sliding. :D Anyways it was great fun and Ethan is really excited about his turn on Saturday. Just let me know where you would like us to drop him off.