Sunday, December 19, 2010

It's one week before Christmas and I am all ready for it except for doing my Christmas cards. We didn't spend as much this year as we have in years past. That may be a good thing, I just hope the family - the Grandchildren especially - aren't disappointed. We bought them children's versions of the scriptures. Actually they are just stories from the scriptures but I wanted to get them something that would remind them of the gifts we have been given from the Lord and that Christmas is really about Christ and not Santa Clause. They are only getting one gift from us.



OH! I just remembered! I have a couple of little gifts for them that I bought last summer and they aren't wrapped! Looks like I'm going to have to spend a couple of hours wrapping this next week after all.



Joe asked me if he should spoil my Christmas for me. I immediately said NO. Then he asked if he should he tell me how his Christmas isn't going to be a surprise for him. Having bought two small gifts for him this last week I was suspicious of him saying that and asked him what he knew. He admitted that he saw what I gotten him on the bank records he looks at every day. I bought him a Dowdle puzzle with my debit card not realizing it would show up there. I didn't think of that when I bought it. He also knew I got something from FYE (For Your Entertainment) He doesn't know what, yet, but it isn't going to be much of a surprise.



Foiled again! One of these years he is going to be surprised and not know what he is getting.

Maybe I should get him a lump of coal. I don't even know where I would get one for him, but I could try.... :)



I forgot to write about our Thanksgiving Day last month. It was as special as ever. I used my china, goblets, had candles on the tables with nice tablecloths and used my pretty milkglass serving dishes. It is the only time I go all out like that (somewhat to the girl's dismay - they don't like cleaning up all that finery- but hey! it's only once a year. It will be memorable to them in future years, I hope in a good way.) I borrowed Daniel's chaffing pan to keep the potatoes warm while we sliced the turkey. I also had two tables and several folding chairs from his rental center. It made it so we could seat everyone. We put the tables up in the living room which made it crowded but fun.



I "brined" the turkey this year. I have never heard of doing that before. I happened to see a box of brining solution at the store the week before Thanksgiving and looked it up on the net. I decided to do it myself and found several recipes that sounded good. The one I chose basically had salt and spices and turned out to be delicious. I've never had such juicy turkey. I am going to do that from now on.



Janice and Emilee had the idea of putting up the Christmas tree that night instead of trying to do my tree (I don't have the stamina to do it all myself, anymore, so they have taken on the job and helped me out) and theirs the next day as we've done in the past.



Several of the grandchildren "helped" us. I have gone to all plastic bulbs for the very reason of letting the kids touch them without worrying about it. I do have about 5 or 6 glass bulbs that I hang up high so it isn't a problem. I also have the handmade ornaments June (Joe's mother) made for us about 25 years ago but I was very careful about letting them hang those. I also have some glass and Chrystal "ice cycles" that the kids hung but they got the idea about how special they were and were very, very careful with them.



It was cute and fun to see them so excited to be helping. It only took us about two hours and the tree was done and all the storage boxes packed away until January.



I have been missing Chloe since I gave her away this last week. I decided it was too much of a problem to have Steve and Janelle visit and have to leave early with bloodshot eyes and serious congestion because they were allergic to her. It seemed to get worse every time they came. The last time they came they each had rubbed their eyes and had to leave early because it was so bad.



Jennifer and Michelle each helped me put an add on line (we did two different adds) and I ended up giving her to a woman who considered her animals her "children." She was only able to have one child who is now 14 years old and she was very loving to Chloe the minute she saw her. I felt considerable relief at finding someone so good to give her to.



We had good news last week! Michelle gave birth to our newest grandchild, Mikayla Mickelle.

She only weighed a little over 5 lbs. so she is very small but darling. Michelle is happy that she has hair (more than Jenni had at 18 months old). She had to stay in the NICU for several days because she inhaled some merconium when she was born. We were a little worried about her for a few days but she ended up getting over the infection she had (from Michelle's being a little sick the week before) and her breathing problems and was able to come home this week.


Well, as usual, this post is long. I guess I should keep a journal apart from my blog but since I don't know how to set it up, it'll have to wait until someone can help me.

That's all for now,

Loves, Mither

No comments: